How to repair ceiling cracks?
As a result of a water damage or simply when the ceiling of your home or apartment works, cracks may appear. Nothing serious but useless to think to solve the problem with paint. The cracks will come back! Here's how to fix your ceiling.
Contrary to what you might think, fixing a crack in the ceiling is not difficult. Before you start, make sure you have a plaster ceiling. If so, here are the steps to take:
- Clean the ceiling : Clearly, it is to remove everything that covers the crack (paint, plaster ...). For that, help yourself with a spatula and do not hesitate to remove all that does not hold. No quarter for scales! You must work on a clean and wide support.
- Scratch the crack If it is narrow, you have to widen it with a scraper so that you can deposit a sufficient amount of plaster. Do not hesitate to dig, so that the bottom is wider than the edges. Clean well with a brush all the dust.
- Moisten the crack : Using a wet sponge, pat inside the crack and around the edges. The surface must not be too dry for the coating to adhere well.
- coat : finally, you arrive at the decisive stage. Put the coating on the end of your knife to coat (or spatula) and garnish in the crack. On the product side, we advise you to choose a fast drying filler (drying time: about 2 hours, but it is better to read the advice of use, all depends on the size of your crack). Do not be afraid to have your hand a little heavy, the crack must be well loaded. On the technical side, you must fill in the direction of the hole, then pass the spatula perpendicularly. Make sure your surface is flat. If there is a hollow, it will increase with drying! If necessary, clean with a cloth or water your spatula during the operation.
- Let it dry and repeat the operation : let the necessary time dry and finalize the operation with a smoothing coating, which will give a truly smooth appearance and mask the last small defects before painting. This time, you will have to wait at least 12 hours before it is dry.
- To paint : you have finished the most difficult! You just have to repaint the surface, not hesitating to overflow the neighboring areas to unify the color. Maybe you will need to do a second coat of paint to avoid too much color demarcation. On this point, it remains your eye (or that of your spouse) the best judge!
I have a plaster ceiling, how should I proceed?
In this case, you will have to proceed differently. Indeed, to avoid cracks, placo plates are joined together by strips, coated and smoothed. It is therefore at the level of these joints that defects can appear. If a crack occurs, you will need to remove the plaster (as on a plaster ceiling), remove the incriminated band (over a length greater than the crack), stick a new band, coat (repeat the operation a second time ), sand and paint.
Our tips in brief:
- Case of patience: this operation requires only few tools and know-how. On the other hand, it is realized in several times and requires minuteness. Respect the drying times.
- Plaster ceiling: use two separate plasters. One for filling: a coarse coating, quick drying. The other for finishing: a more qualitative coating, with a creamy texture, which will allow you to obtain a smooth surface for painting. Attention, the latter requires a long drying time (more than 12 hours).
- Plasterboard ceiling: do not use self-adhesive strips and prefer the strips to be coated. Certainly, the stickers are easier to ask for novices, but they have a much lower performance in time.